Sunday, October 5, 2008

Day 3: Part Deux*

My plan last night was to go home, change into sweats and write until I caught up, approximately 2500 words (though I've lost my calculator and I hate the computer one, so I'm estimating here), which, to my fuzzy, congested, exhausted brain sounded overwhelming. I got home. I changed into sweats. I made and ate dinner. I cleaned a little. I smoked a cigarette. I checked my two emails, Facebook, MySpace, and Craigslist, and finally, when faced with the only thing left to do to avoid writing, watch a movie, I made myself open up my novel. I resisted every step of the way. I didn't know where to start for the third day in a row, so I began describing the small town. I kept checking my word count. 700. 813. 956. I had been writing an hour before I hit on something: the story of Lily's mother and father. Bam. That was it, I hit a stride, I pushed my inner editor ("It's too sentimental, it doesn't make sense, you're not telling enough of the details, that's not what would happen, you are misrepresenting these people, you don't know anything about Native American culture") to the back of my mind, and wrote for another hour and a half.

Total for Day 3: 2956
Overall total: 5582

*This is a post I wrote yesterday, but wasn't able to post due to some technical dificulties.

1 comment:

natty art said...

I'm so impressed that your doing this. Kudos for you! I can't wait to read the finished product. I'm intrigued already!