Wednesday, October 17, 2007

drowning, floating, flying

i'm wondering, though not for the first time, if i am somehow psychologically impaired. my emotions with this project have been a roller coaster--euphoric one day, crushed the next. confident and pleased with my writing, then insecure and frustrated. in my last blog i was ambivalent, blase even. today, i'm frustrated and tempted to rip the damn manuscript to shreds. am i always this manic-depressive? I'm 3,000 words behind, almost at 25,000, but i'm still at the beginning of my story. i keep writing, writing, writing, but i don't feel like i'm getting anywhere. i keep trying to remind myself to write scenes that advance the story, now that i've taken care of character introduction, but i can't...seem...to....get...going. the story is stagnating, and, i fear, beginning to rot. at this point, i'm trying to decide whether to rush through the middle to get to the end by October 31 and finish at 50,000 words or whether to take my time and just keep writing past the end of October. Either way, i don't see myself not getting to 50,000. At this point, the word count is not an issue. The story is.

No comments: