Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Day 1, continued

Daily word count: 3,021
Total word count: 3,021

So my plan is to get up at 6 (well, 6:30 if you count the 2 times I allow myself to hit the snooze), write for an hour before work, and then finish up my word count in the evening. So yesterday morning, after 4 hours of sleep, I decided I'd get up at 6 even though i'd already met my word count. so, i ended up writing another 1100 words yesterday morning, which meant i could cash in on one of my "rewards." The kit that we're using encourages us to have a reward/punishment system set up with our friends. For instance, with my friend Ariel, she has permission to ask me any day out of the month (and every day if she wants to) whether i met my word count the previous day. If i haven't, I have to go to her house and wash her dishes (which is something i hate to do). And that girl always has a sinkful of dishes. Another is that I don't get to see a certain someone unless i've met my word count, so it was really nice to be able to go meet him right after work yesterday.

i went to bed early last night, woke up again at 6:30 this morning (a tad easier today than yesterday), and wrote about 1400 words. that wasn't as easy today. i feel like i'm learning to write all over again. the writing feels clunky, awkward, and rudimentary. it's supposed to be, according to my novel-writing kit, but that doesn't make it any easier not to think about quality and to put everything out of my head except the story. of course, i want it to be good. my two consolations are that i can edit to my heart's content later, and that, hopefully, i'll get in the groove and have at least one or two spurts of semi-brilliant inspiration by the time this is all over.

So, I've introduced my main character and at least four supporting characters, although i'm not sure how much any of the supports are going to appear in the end. no matter. I feel like i'm on track as far as the story goes, though i'm wondering if i'm going to get to the end of the story by the end of the month.

also, i want to say thank you so much to everyone who's e-mailed encouragement to me already! it means so much to me to know that so many people are pulling for me.

No comments: